We at Avora Skin Spa, Coquitlam use Botox Cosmetics as muscle relaxant to treat the wrinkles and lines caused by the contraction of various muscles of facial expression. We inject purified botulinum toxin directly into the muscles known as Botox®. This causes the muscles to relax and blocks any further contraction. The result is a more peaceful air and a mild lifting of the face. When done properly, your normal and natural facial expression remains intact. Only the desired lines disappear.
The effect of Botox® (botulinum toxin) is temporary and you will require repeat injections every 3 to 6 months. We do not advise these injections for patients who are pregnant. They are also not recommended for patients with certain neurological diseases.
The main areas we treat with Botox® are:
- Glabella: This is the area between your eyebrows. Wrinkles in this region give you a stern or severe look which is readily smoothed with muscle relaxants.
- Eyebrows: If your eyebrows are low on your forehead, you may have a stern looking appearance. By relaxing the muscles around the brow, we can create a soft “lift” of this area causing a more relaxed appearance.
- Crow’s feet: These are the fine “smiling” lines on each side of your eyes. Botulinum toxin will reduce these lines but not at the expense of your smile! An added bonus is that the outside part of your eyebrow will lift once the muscles in this area are relaxed.
- Forehead: The deep creases and wrinkles across your forehead may give you a worried look. These can be easily softened with muscle relaxants.
- Underarms/hands for excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis): Botulinum toxin acts on the receptors which normally activate the sweat glands. It blocks the chemical signals sent from the nerves that control sweating. We inject the medication into the skin of the palms and underarms. The result is a significant reduction in the amount of sweat produced in these areas. The effect may last 6 to 12 months and for many people, it is an excellent solution for an embarrassing problem!
We will prepare a prescription for the medication. Please contact your insurance company to verify coverage of the medication.