Dermal Fillers (also called soft-tissue fillers) are a non-surgical injectable treatment used to restore facial volume, create youthful facial contours, add volume to lips, and smooth out and reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and folds. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS), dermal fillers are the most common non-surgical procedure after BOTOX®, and are typically used as part of an ongoing skin maintenance routine.
There are currently many dermal filler products available on the market, the most popular of which are based on Hyaluronic Acid (HA), a substance that naturally exists in the human body, lubricating soft connective tissues, the skin, the eyes, and certain joints. The Hyaluronic Acid found in popular dermal fillers such as Juvederm®, Restylane®, Perlane®, VOLUMA™, and Teosyal® is a synthetic compound that acts similarly to the natural substance. It attracts water molecules and therefore acts like a cushion, propping up existing facial structures that have lost volume and elasticity as part of normal aging. By increasing the skin’s supply of Hyaluronic Acid, dermal fillers revitalize and add volume to the skin, smooth out wrinkles and lines, fill in hollowed out areas, and impart a softer, more youthful appearance.
What Kind Of Improvements Can Be Made With Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are used in the following ways to treat a variety of issues:
To Reverse the Effects of Aging
- Loss Of Facial Volume: As we age, the fullness of youth is lost, which is most evident in areas such as the lips, cheeks, and eyelids. By restoring volume, fillers are able to directly improve a gaunt appearance by filling in hollowed or sunken areas.
- Tissue Sagging: As skin ages, it atrophies, which affects the appearance of skin under the eyes, around the lips, the chin, jowls, and the area between the nose and the mouth.
- Deepening Of Facial Folds And Wrinkles: With age, wrinkles and facial folds become more pronounced. Fillers are able to erase moderate to severe wrinkles, and folds such as:
- Nasolabial Folds (Laugh Lines): Lines from the nose to the corners of the mouth.
- Marionette Lines: Lines from the lips down to the sides of the chin.
- Lipstick Lines: Lines on the upper lip created when the lip is pouting, such as during lipstick application, cigarette smoking, etc.
- Corners Of the Mouth: Downward pointing lines emanating from the corners of the lips, which give the appearance of a grimace.
- Fine Lines: Fine facial lines become more problematic with the passage of time – in particular, tiny lines below the eyes, and around the lips.
- Hand Rejuvenation: Even if you are able to maintain a youthful look, withered hands are often a telltale sign of age. Dermal fillers are not just for the face and are very effective at rejuvenating the appearance of hands, by making them appear smoother and suppler while minimizing wrinkles and hiding prominent bones and veins.
To Improve Your Appearance
Dermal fillers can also be used to address a host of issues unrelated to aging. The following improvements can be made to your appearance using dermal fillers:
- Lip Augmentation: Fillers can be used to plump up thin lips, rendering them more voluminous and attractive.
- Augmenting The Cheeks: A gaunt, sunken in look can be improved by the administration of fillers.
- Improving The Shape Of The Nose: By strategically injecting dermal fillers in the right location, a crooked or disproportionate nose can be drastically improved without surgery.
- Narrowing The Appearance Of The Jaw Line: A wide jaw line is not considered to be feminine. Strategic injection of dermal fillers to the Masseter muscle can make the face appear narrower and more attractive.
Benefits Of Dermal Fillers
- Immediate and long-lasting results
- No downtime for recovery
- Highly Effective at improving appearance
- Performed during one visit (20 minutes in and out)
- No anesthesia is required
- Natural-looking results that don’t affect the ability to make facial expressions
- Results can be reversed or corrected
- Soft compound which can be moulded to suit your unique facial features
- Proven safety track record, approved by Health Canada and the FDA
- Corrects the signs of aging by lifting and filling the skin, and smoothing out wrinkles
- Contours the jaw line by correcting jowls and sagging features
Men skin & Dermal Fillers
Regardless of age, the skin of a man is thicker than the skin of a woman and has more collagen. Men therefore experience less wrinkling and tend to age slower than women. Male skin aging is a gradual, ongoing process that is strongly affected by environmental factors. Sun exposure, bad nutrition habits, and occupational or personal stress take their toll on male skin. Especially the main structural protein of the dermis, collagen. Collagen is broken down and lost at a rate of about 1% per year. The consequences: firm skin loses its elasticity, and wrinkles and folds begin to form. Fortunately, today signs of aging no longer have to be accepted as inevitable. Men can address their concerns by choosing a high-quality treatment strategy, which leads to natural-looking improvements without compromising masculinity.
How Long Will It Take Me To See Results After Dermal Filler Injections?
After getting dermal filler injections, you will be able to immediately see some results, however, it will take about 48 hours to see the full effect. The results will typically last up to six months. After this period of time, you will need to receive fillers again to maintain your rejuvenated appearance. If you opt to stop getting injections at any time, your appearance will just revert to its original state.
How Long Will The Results From Dermal Fillers Last?
Dermal fillers fade very slowly and gradually, so for the vast majority of patients, results should last between 6 and 18 months. After approximately 9 to 12 months, the effects of the dermal filler gradually weaken, until your skin returns to its natural state. The specific amount of time dermal fillers last varies depending on the patient’s skin, the treatment area, and the type of product used.
As treatment with dermal fillers is temporary, they require touch-up injections for maintenance and eventually repeat injections. At Avora Skin Spa Cosmetic Clinic, our experienced health care practitioners will determine the ideal time interval for your follow-up treatments, and develop the optimal injectable regimen to suit your needs. Alternatively, if you decide not to maintain your new appearance, the results will gradually disappear over time.